Thursday, December 16, 2010

Just Another Awkward Story to Add to the Collection....

Hahahaha and also HAH.

I just had one of those really awkward and embarrassing moments today that awakened me (if by some strange means I had forgotten) to how nerdy and pathetic my life truly is.

Which is very nerdy AND pathetic.... Just to be clear.

Anyway, I was just out and about, innocently driving my car and acting like the totally normal person that I am when this whole ordeal took place... I can wholeheartedly assure you that I was neither disco dancing nor practicing the robot as I listened to my music alone, and I also wasn't trying to count the number of double chins I can make myself have (4!) in my rear view mirror. I am far too sophisticated and suave for shenanigans like that, so obviously, I was completely focused on my driving, not doing anything that could potentially embarrass me.

And that is why what happened next was completely uncalled for. As I pulled up to the stoplight, minding my own business (and definitely NOT flailing around a mad fool or pretending to be a robot with 4 chins), I casually glanced over to the car next to me...

And they were all staring. The whole lot of them. At ME.

And that is when I remembered that I am actually not suave OR sophisticated, and I was, as a matter of fact, acting like a robot..... a robot with 4 chins and a fervent passion for disco dancing. Is that so wrong?!? A girl should not have to worry about what she does in the privacy of her own car. I should be able to practice my Robot in peace, gosh darn it. But apparently the rest of the world doesn't see things that way.

Anyway, as soon as I noticed that my robot impression and mad dancing had an audience of about 6, I instantly stopped flailing and gripped my steering wheel and stared with all my might at the red light until it changed, trying to regain myself and pick up my shattered pieces of pride and dignity.

Sometimes I think I should really just stop walking into these embarrassing situations.... Unfortunately, my freakish nature is often too hard to control, and several minutes after the Red-Light Incident, I was back in my own little world, singing improvised show tunes to help pass the time...

It's moments like these that desperately make me wish I had tinted windows.

No comments:

Post a Comment