Thursday, July 29, 2010

A Personal Review of Inception...

Today, I finally made it to the movie theater (a few weeks late, unfortunately) to see Inception with my family. Though generally I would keep my thoughts to myself, I feel that the current trend set by the social norms of facebook demands that I give it a hearty review via the internet. And as I am all for conforming to the social norms (!!!), here is what I have to say...

The ending was... well... UTTER CRAP. I left the theater less than an hour ago, and I am still more or less seething at the producers for cutting the movie 2 SECONDS short and not showing us whether that darn little dreidel keeps spinning or falls. It just wobbles. WOBBLES. What the heck?!??? It wobbles?? What in the world is that supposed to mean? Is poor Leonardo still stuck in some sort of dream? ...Or is he in reality??

The world will never know... And you know why...? It is because the movie writers hate us. A board of purely sadistic and embittered men made this decision.... They were sitting at a team meeting and reviewing the ending for the film (complete with dreidel either spinning or falling), and then one particularly disagreeable old man with a childhood dream of causing psychological torment to entire theaters of people raised his fat and greasy hand and said, "Hey.... why don't we cut the movie two seconds short? Wouldn't that be a funny practical joke?"

And the board loved it. And this cantankerous, old man, who in my mind's eye is obscenely ugly with three heads and an infectious rash, received a hearty promotion for his efforts. He is now lounging on a beach somewhere in Jamaica, laughing to himself as hoards of unsatisfied movie-goers settle their unsettled plot disputes with vehement arguments and the occasional gunfight to the death. Terrific, isn't it?

On the bright side, the rest of the movie was action-packed and really very thrilling! And that one stylishly-clad guy who spends all that time hopping about with no gravity was very good looking, as was (from a man's perspective), the dead wife/complete lunatic. So all in all, I would have to give Inception a positive(ish) review. I would heartily recommend this film to anyone seeking to self-inflict themselves with a great deal of psychological chaos... also anyone with a masochistic adoration of incomplete conclusions.


And that is what I think.



4 comments:

  1. Joseph Gordon-Levitt! (the one in 0 gravity) He's in 10 Things I Hate About You, 3rd Rock from the Sun, and 500 Days of Summer. Inception must have been the movie where he thought, "Hey, I'm going to do a project that doesn't have a number in it."

    I also like seeing Ellen Page in something other than a snarky role.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! You are on your way to becoming one of the featured reviewers on Rotten Tomatoes. I shall be valiantly checking the postings each day to ensure that you get the credit you deserve.

    Just thought I would share some of what I've found with you. I read a thorough analysis by a guy who watched the movie not once, not twice, not three times, but FOUR times in five days. His theory is that the movie ends in reality.

    Explanation? The camera makes it obvious when Cobb is wearing a ring (dream) versus when he is not (reality). What this guy argues is that the top isn't the totem, the ring is. Supposedly, different child actors played the children at the end of the movie versus in the dream. Your thoughts?

    Source: http://revolvingdoorproject.net/2010/07/23/inception-what-happened-at-the-end/

    I think this deserves an Inception party where we painstakingly analyze each frame of the film and write a 120 page detailed analysis. We can peer review it and publish it in various journals. When we win a Nobel prize for our work, we can split the royalties from our New York Times bestselling book. Mwahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the way you think, Tim. Any plot that leaves me several million dollars richer with royalties is A OK with me! We should begin our thorough analysis as soon as possible...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also noticed that the top sounded like it was going to fall...

    ReplyDelete