Friday, August 13, 2010

Apparently, I am a Temptress... Sort of

Well, I am currently sitting at Starbucks, where I am afraid I may have just accidentally enticed a man. Shocking... I know. I guess that's what I get for forgetting to put on my floor-length nun's tunic and head piece when leaving the house this morning... it was entirely unintentional, I assure you.

Anyways, back to the story, I was just sitting here at Starbucks, innocently sipping my coffee and writing in my journal, when I looked up to notice a man staring at me from across the room. Naturally, I started writing really fervently and looking busy to dissuade him from approaching me, but apparently my womanly charm was too much to resist, and next thing I knew, he was over at my table striking up small talk. He began by making a witty comment about how we are both left handed, and I, being the excellent conversationalist that I am (HAHA), went along with it.

The reason for mentioning this guy in my blog, however, came several minutes later when he commented rather audaciously (after complimenting my appearance) that although I am currently well-dressed and put together, I obviously used to be a nerd..... WHAT?!?

This is actually the most perceptive thing a stranger has ever said to me. My only question is this: how did he know?! Does my personality simply ooze nerdiness? Is the fact that I like to watch Avatar the Last Airbender in my free time plastered on my face? Did he somehow know that I have a spare copy of Pokemon Ruby (for gameboy) in my purse? I really have no idea. But the fact of the matter is this: apparently, I am fooling no one with my feeble facade of coolness. What a devastating blow....

On a further downside, the man in question seemed to think the fact that I am actually a HUGE FREAK was a perk, because after several more minutes of small talk, he asked for my number with the hopes of "getting to know me better." Anyways, flattered as I was (sort of..), I reverted subconsciously to my primal instincts and gave him completely false contact information. I did feel a pang of guilt, however, as we walked away (for he did seem like a decent person... apart from the whole "nerd" comment), but I am far too content with my hermit hole of loneliness to start brazenly giving out my number to every many man in a coffee shop who asks for it.

Anyways, to prevent future occurrences of the sort, next time I go out I plan to wear a full-body covering complete with head scarf to insure that I do not accidentally entice any innocent bystanders. This may be the only way to prevent such things from happening again. Though on second thought, it looks like my sad, nerd-like qualities are actually VERY evident to strangers, so perhaps I don't need to worry about it, after all.

Ahhhhh my life is so humorous.... in a sad and pathetic sort of way.


No comments:

Post a Comment